Friday, April 18, 2014

Quartet with Doc Severinsen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRu5m45Wz2c

So the way I dig around is just by clicking through trumpet ensembles that I know and like (Baylor, Julliard, etc) then gradually get more and more obscure as I go along. Imagine my surprise when I got about eight clicks deep and found this cool gem. Doc Severinsen, Bobby Hackett, and Charlie Shavers team up with the relatively-inexperienced-but-still-a-good-sport-about-it Steve Allen. I love the old short bore cornet holding down the third trumpet and bringing in the host, Steve Allen, to blow on a little solo was a clever touch.

I could easily see a trumpet quartet doing this kind of stunt with a professor/director and it would be a big crowd-pleaser during a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment