Sunday, February 23, 2014

No Good Trumpet Trios (Part III)

I'm worried I'm running out of options. I checked out Trumpets of Spain by Robert Nagel but didn't like any of the recordings and found the whole thing kind of stylistically dull. It may have been the performances or the fact that Trumpets of Spain is more of a character piece using Spanish harmony (sounded more like Mariachi to me). It gets a lot of play by high schoolers and I found a couple of collegiate performances, but there's a wide swath of tempos and interpretations people are going with based on their own preconceived notions of what "Spanish" sounds like.

Here's Notre Dame in 2013 giving it a shot. I think the tempo needs to come up quite a few clicks and the balance needs to get inverted (more low end, less top end) then it might come off better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OWHexTn1A

No comments:

Post a Comment