Sunday, February 23, 2014

No Good Trumpet Trios (Part I)

We've got a trumpet trio this semester made up of two grad students and a super-senior. We pulled every trumpet trio off the library shelves and read them all down. There are almost no good trumpet trios. Heck, type in 'trumpet trio' and you'll get the national anthem, bugler's holiday, and trumpeter's lullaby performed by high school kids at contest. That's nearly all I could find. So I went digging for some gems. For today's challenge, I will dig through piles of bad trumpet trios and try to find decent collegiate-level trios with good recordings to match. I also promised myself I wouldn't post about the Tomasi Suite until I've exhausted all other options.

Robert Muczynski - Trumpet Trio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yl-Pztv8Xc

There's the link. It only has the first and fifth movements. There is a recording with all five movements, but it's so terrible I opted not to post it at all. This trio first caught my ear because it takes advantage of the low, medium, and upper-middle registers of the trumpet in an interesting way. The movements are short and rhythmic, with some very cool hocketed exchanges between parts. The whole thing is about 4:30 long, each movement being between 30-60 seconds. Great interest builder that doesn't overstay its welcome. I jumped online and ordered a copy for myself I liked it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment